Lincoln Covered Bridge
On the western border of the Lincoln Inn & Restaurant property is the only remaining wooden bridge in America of its kind and design. In 1844, T. Willis Pratt, founder of the Pratt Institute of Design in Brooklyn, NY, invented and patented the bridge plans that bear his name. The design uses vertical posts and crossed iron rods through the arched truss to the lower chords. This type found increased favor with advent of iron construction and became the prototype for literally hundreds of steel railroad bridges in use today throughout the nation. Today, the 134-foot long Lincoln Covered Bridge is the single surviving Pratt truss in America.
This bridge was originally in the Village of Woodstock at the present location of Billings Bridge. In the flood of 1869 the bridge was washed downstream intact to Dewey’s Mill, where it rested on an island. During the same flood Charles F. Lincoln’s bridge was destroyed. Tolls collected from the users of the bridge were an important part of the farmer’s income. Lincoln waited until a heavy winter, then brought the Pratt structure up what is now Route 4 by jack sled. In 1877 the Lincoln Covered Bridge was installed at its present location.